Chocoaholics will happily extend the chocolate orgy they succumbed to during the festive season with this delicious chocolate and cardamom cream. Easy to prepare, it is better when served fresh with crunchy biscuits.
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces. Place them in a bowl with the instant coffee.
- Open the cardamom pods. Put the seeds in a non stick pan and toast them gently for a few minutes, then crush them in a mortar. Heat the milk and the cream in a pan, add the cardamom powder. Bring to a boil and let infuse. Put a lid on the pan.
- Whisk the eggs with the sugar until you a creamy ribbon. Sieve the milk/cream and pour the liquid on the yolks without stopping whisking.
- Heat that mixture without bringing to the boil or it will curd. Keep stirring. When it gets thicker (after a few minutes), remove from the gas and pour on the chocolate. Stir until the chocolate is perfectly melted.
- Add the whisky and keep stirring. You must get a thick smooth mixture. Divide into 6 glasses. Let cool at least two hours in the fridge.
I usually recommend pairing chocolate desserts with a single malt matured in sherry cask. Complex Speysides make perfect companions. But here, because of the cardamom which brings in a perfumy flavour to the chocolate, I choose a peated whisky. Ardbeg or Talisker 10 Year Old make an amazing combination.